The main building on the lodge property has such a wonderful history. The building was built in 1954 and was originally a window factory, building supplier, and feed store owned by 3 brothers; D.V., Lyte, and Hallis Northcutt (Northcutt Brothers Building Supply). The Northcutt family also had a large sawmill, home place, barns and chicken house on this property. Some of these buildings survive while others have not. The Northcutt’s have been a prominent family in Grundy county for many generations. Inside the building you will see some historical items and information about the building and it’s heritage.
Dr. Joe Gray became familiar with Grundy county while preaching at Bybee’s Branch Church of Christ in McMinnville during the 1950’s. He held many gospel meetings on the ‘mountain’ and came to know and love many of the folks, including Fanny (Northcutt) Moffitt and other members of the Northcutt family.
The Moffitt Manor in Altamont was built in 1885 and was the home of Fanny Moffitt. Dr. Gray purchased the Manor in the 1980’s and he and his wife Harriette lived there for almost 30 years.
Dr. Gray purchased the building that is now the lodge in 1994 and used it to store antiques and more. It took over 3 years to go thru all the antiques and family heirlooms that were piled high throughout the 6000 square foot building. When all was cleared out, we began restoring it for a family retreat. We decided to share with others and have been working on it since 2019.
We love the history of the area and the properties we have been involved with in the past 3 decades or so. Most of all, we love the many friends we have made and continue to make.